Get Moving: Mobile-First is the Way Forward for Your Business
In India, the number of smartphone users is on the rise by the minute- in 2017, it is estimated that smartphones numbers will grow to 340.2 million. Therefore, mobile screens have become targeted promotion zones that brands and businesses cannot afford to ignore. As a small or medium business, you know that a constant engagement with consumers is vital to maintain and increase revenues. Companies are now going ‘mobile-first’ to tap into the potential of increased usage of mobile internet and applications in daily life.
What is a mobile-first strategy?
A Mobile-First strategy adopts your business tools, products and services for comfortable accessibility on a mobile device such a phone or tablet. This means, first and foremost, you need a responsive website that adapts itself to the mobile screen. All your digital content, and indeed your presence itself must be moulded into a clear, user-friendly mobile design.
Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce pointed out that “The world is being re-shaped by the convergence of social, mobile, cloud, big data, community and other powerful forces. The combination of these technologies unlocks an incredible opportunity to connect everything together in a new way and it’s dramatically transforming the way we live and work.” By going mobile first you will come one step closer to an integrated holistic strategy for your business.
But why go the mobile first way?
One of the major reasons to adopt a mobile-first strategy is to drive purchases among a bigger base of consumers. A study by Google claims that almost 28% consumers who could access product or service information as well as buying sites, contributed to an organisation’s sales conversion. Now let us have a look at the three most important reasons why your business needs to go ‘mobile-first’.
- Your consumers expect your services to be available on their mobile devices. Consumers are constantly on the move and they want to access product and service information on the go, creating huge potential for your business to share notifications about upcoming sales or new features
- Staying in the competition is an aspect you must consider. Most businesses have already gone the mobile way with responsive website designs, mobile adverts and media designed for mobile. If you do not start mobile-marketing immediately, you face the risk of losing out on growing your market
- ‘Mobile-first’ strategies are known to definitively add to an organisation’s sales, due to the fact that products and services are placed within the consumers reach, thus increasing their inclination to make a purchase
Starting early on with a ‘Mobile-first’ strategy will enable you to monitor the impact and learn from the results. Your business can also innovate better to keep up with the emerging trends. By being present on the mobile digital space, you can have access to the changing preferences of the consumers with time. Productivity at your organisation may potentially increase with a better use of digital connections since you teams will have access to information on-the-go and will also learn to correct mistakes immediately. Introducing a mobile-first presence within the organisation can create an environment of knowledge that has been known to increase productivity by 52%.
A ‘Mobile-First’ strategy for you
So, how can you integrate a ‘mobile-first’ strategy into your business? Essentially, you should build your company operations around mobile devices and have a better visibility and among your consumers. Here’s what you can do:
- Design your digital presence – website, social media and e-commerce – to be adaptive for mobile screen so consumers can access you at ease
- Design your content, especially media like photographs or videos, to have the maximum effect on mobile screens as visual content is highly impactful
- Design your promotional and sales strategies to be implemented at the times of maximum online presence among your consumers
- Consider developing a mobile app with exclusive benefits to attract more consumers with affinity towards mobile devices
- Customise your mobile services as per consumer location and demographics for a better engagement
Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Alphabet Inc. discussed the future of mobile and the necessity of mobile-first strategies “Mobile will ultimately be the way you provision most of your services. The way I like to put it is, the answer should always be mobile first. You should always put your best team and your best app on your mobile app.”
A ‘mobile-first’ strategy requires a dedicated team to constantly adapt to new digital trends and keep developing fresh, impactful content for the audience. It might seem like a huge effort, but it is worth it. ‘Mobile-first’ strategies are here to take your business forward and it is time you cash in on this opportunity.